Пятница Ponderings: I can't live without my...

Ponder: to consider something deeply and thoroughly; meditate
Пятница (PYAHT-nee-tsuh): Friday in Russian
-------------------

My microwave died last week. It's above our stove and it seems to work, but it doesn't heat anything any more. It's not the end of the world, I certainly know how to cook on a stove top. Sure, it's a little more inconvenient to heat my hot chocolate in a sauce pan, or heat leftovers in a sauce pan on the stove.  What I didn't realize, was how often I use my microwave while I cook until it wasn't available.

I made Chicken Broccoli Casserole for The Artist's birthday because it's one of his favorites. But, I couldn't cook the chicken in the microwave, I had to boil it on the stove. I had to melt the butter for the bread crumb topping on the stove.

We'd had Chili and Rice for dinner earlier in the week and I couldn't reheat it in the microwave, I had to heat it over the stove. The Doctor just ate his rice cold.

We have so many convenient gadgets and tools at our disposal in the kitchen that it got me thinking: what couldn't I live without?  And my answer? Pretty much a functioning stove/oven, a fridge/freezer and basic cooking utensils. Oh, I could use a spoon or fork if I didn't have a whisk, but it would be hard to cook without a couple of pots and pans and a baking dish or two. I wouldn't even need a peeler if I had a knife. A rubber spatula is a need, but I could simply use a spoon if it was all I had.

What can't you live without in your kitchen?

This post has been shared at Beautifully CreativePin Me Linky, Simple & Sweet Fridays, Weekend Blog Hop, No RulesWhat to Do Weekends,Tasty Tuesdays,You're Gonna Love ItThe Gathering SpotTasty TuesdaysImparting GraceBloom Designs,Creative InspirationsHearts for HomeGrammie Time

Comments

  1. Oh my! You made me smile. I cannot live without a wooden spoon!
    ஐღLauraღஐ
    ...doing what I can with what I've got where I am
    on a short shoestring budget!
    ~~~~~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree--I use the microwave frequently during the day especially for left over coffee, to make my hot tea, and then of course for left overs, and to defrost my gluten free bread slices (which I keep frozen). I also make my popcorn in a brown lunch bag in the microwave. I can heat a special heating pad in it as well. So YUP--I don't want to do without one! I did get rid of my garlic press even though I use garlic almost every day---I just prefer bigger pieces ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ready, I went a whole year without an oven. Yes, a whole year. Why? Because it blew during a severe thunderstorm one evening, unexpected and I didn't have the money to replace it. It was summer and of course I use my oven less in the summer. Before I knew it the holidays rolled around, still no oven. Made other arrangements, no time to go buying an oven. Winter turned into spring. And finally one weekend I said to my husband, I think it is time to get an oven. Point is, one surprises themselves with exactly what we have to do when we need to. Thanks for sharing this at Party at My Place today.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment