White Cake

Printable recipe


2 1/2 cups flour (all purpose)
2 cups sugar
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/8 t. salt
1 1/3 cup buttermilk or sour milk
1/2 cup butter (softened)
2 t. vanilla
4 egg whites

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Add buttermilk, butter, and vanilla.  Beat with an electric mixer on low for about 30 seconds.  Scrape the bowl and beat on medium for 2 minutes.  Scraping the bowl occasionally.  Add egg whites, and beat for 2 minutes more.

Pour into greased and floured pans (2 nine-inch square/round pans or one 9x13 pan) and bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.  I did 24 cupcakes and baked them for about 20 minutes.

Holly's Note:
The original recipe came from my old Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.  My husband and I thought the cupcakes were a bit heavy, not light and fluffy. My son loved them and couldn't get enough.  I think that next time I will change the order for mixing and do it more traditionally:  cream the butter and sugar first, add the egg whites one at a time, etc.


Comments

  1. Those look good to me. It does make a difference what order you do the ingredients in.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment