BBQ Chicken Enchiladas

Printable Recipe


2 T. olive oil
1 cup diced onion
1/4 t. salt
2 cans (10 oz each) red enchilada sauce
½ cup of your favorite BBQ sauce (I used Sweet Baby Rays Original)
2 cups shredded, cooked chicken
1 T. BBQ seasoning
1 pinch/sprinkle cayenne pepper
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
8 whole wheat tortillas

In a large skillet, heat the olive oil on low-medium heat. Add the onions with a pinch of salt, and let caramelize until soft and golden, about 10 minutes.

While onions are cooking, whisk enchilada sauce and BBQ sauce together until combined.

Add shredded chicken, BBQ seasoning and cayenne pepper to onions. Mix together thoroughly. Pour in about a half of a cup of the enchilada/BBQ sauce mixture and add half of the cheddar cheese. Stir until mixture comes together and remove from heat.

Pour a drizzle of enchilada/BBQ sauce in the bottom of a baking dish. Take each tortilla and fill it with a little over half a cup of the chicken mixture. Roll each up and set it in the baking dish. Pour remaining enchilada/BBQ sauce on top of tortillas and add the remaining cheese. Bake at 375 for about 20-25 minutes.

Serves 4.

Holly's Note:
I found the original recipe at Tasty Kitchen from How Sweet It IsNow, the thought of BBQ sauce mixed with enchilada sauce was a bit weird at first and I wasn't sure how they would be.  But, these were fantastic.  Absolutely fantastic. I prefer them over regular enchiladas actually.  I might mix in some cooked rice next time

When I asked my husband if this was a keeper, his response was, "Oh, hell yes!" 

**This recipe works just as well with ground beef or shredded beef.  If using ground beef, just brown a pound of ground beef and drain it.  Then add it to the onions instead of the chicken.  If using shredded beef, you want about 2 cups cooked and shredded beef, the same as with the chicken.


Comments

  1. Well, I would have never thought of BBQ sauce with an enchilada, but I bet it does add something to it. Sounds great. Will have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh... bbq + enchilada... interesting concept. But I'm super curious and I know my husband would love it! Thanks for the inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds and looks so yummy cant wait to try it :)

    Check out my food blog at

    www.thedailysmash101@blogspot.com

    Ashley

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment