Sausage Gravy and Biscuits


Biscuits and Gravy is one of my most favorite breakfasts, and certainly the one I order the most when eating out.  I wanted to try making it myself.

Biscuits

I didn't want a full recipe of biscuits, so I fudged one of my own.  There are tons out there and Bisquick or refrigerated work too...

1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder (probably use 1 t. next time)
1 T cold butter
1/8 tsp. salt
about 1/2 cup milk

Mix flour, baking powder and salt together. Cut in butter until crumbly. Gradually add milk, stirring until soft dough is formed, if it's sticky add a little more four. Turn out on slightly floured board and lightly knead it until it's smooth enough to shape.  About 30-45 seconds.

Roll about 1/2 inch thick and cut with 2 inch floured biscuit cutter or a glass dipped in flour (which is what I do). Bake on an ungreased sheet in a 400 degree oven for about 12-15 minutes. This made about 4 biscuits.  They were pretty flat, so I think I'd add a bit more baking powder next time, but they were tasty.

Sausage Gravy

1 pound bulk sausage
A couple of tablespoons of flour
Milk
Salt and Pepper to taste

I'm sorry that this isn't a specific recipe.  There are tons out there.

I molded the sausage into a roll and sliced off about 4 or 5 rounds.  After I fried them up, I set them aside, crumbled up the rest of the sausage and cooked it. Remove the sausage from the pan and add some flour to the drippings to make a roux.  You want it smooth, so add a little flour at a time.  You probably need about a tablespoon or 2.  Whisk it around and let it get nice and brown.

Add some milk, probably about a 1/2-3/4 cup, and stir.  If it's still a bit dry, add some more milk.  Whisk it all together and let it simmer for a couple of minutes.  Add the crumbled sausage back into the pan and stir some more.

Let it simmer, stirring occasionally.  It will thicken up.  Season with salt and pepper, to taste.  Some people like to add a little sage.  Mine got a bit thick.  Next time, I would add more milk, so it was creamier.

Serve over biscuits, with a sausage patty on the side.




Comments