Marinara Sauce

Printable Recipe
Makes about 2 cups of sauce


2 T. olive oil
1 small onion, chopped fine
2 garlic cloves, chopped fine
1 can (14 oz size or home canned pint) diced tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
1 small can tomato sauce
1 t. oregano to taste
1-2 t. basil to taste
1/2 t. salt

Saute the onion and garlic in oil, about 2-3 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and stir. Simmer about 30 minutes. Use in place of any meatless spaghetti sauce. This was fine for a 9 x 9 pan of shells. I'd double it for a 9 x 13 pan.

Holly's Note:
I happened to be out of pasta sauce and went looking for a homemade version that was similar. I modified a couple of recipes I found and came up with this version. It was pretty good. Is it cheaper than the $1 bottles of GV brand? I don't know. It was certainly easy to make and I had everything on hand and didn't have to run to the store. I will certainly use it in a pinch again.


I normally use the GV (Volde-Mart brand) Onion and Garlic pasta sauce with my Stuffed Shells recipes. If it's on sale, Ragu's Tomato, Onion and Garlic sauce is about equal in taste.

Comments