Shepherd's Pie


4-5 medium-sized potatoes, or about 2-3 cups of leftover mashed potatoes
1-1/2 lbs ground beef
1 small onion, diced
2 beef bouillon cubes
handful of bread crumbs
1 T. cornstarch, mixed in about a 1/4 cup of cold water until dissolved
some frozen mixed veggies or leftover veggies

Cook the potatoes and mash them with butter and cream, or reheat your leftover potatoes adding some liquid if necessary. Set aside.

Brown the ground beef and drain. Add the onion, water and bouillon. Bring it to a boil and simmer gently for about 2 minutes, stirring well. Add the cornstarch-water mixture, bread crumbs and any other seasonings you would like, as well as the vegetables. Let it simmer for a few minutes (you may want to let it simmer longer to cook off some liquid if there seems to be too much). Put it into a casserole dish. Top with the mashed potatoes.

We have a yummy bbq seasoning that I add to mine. Shepherd's Pie can be a bit bland, so add your own kinds of seasonings, even if it's just salt and pepper.

Run a fork across the top of the potatoes to make some ridges. These get crusty.

Cook at 350 for about 30-40 minutes or until the top is golden brown.

Holly's Note:
My sweet British Mother-in-Law showed me how to make Shepherd's Pie, and my Father-in-Law wrote out the original recipe for me. I've adapted it a bit for our tastes, and it's one of my favorite meals and my husband tells me that it tastes just as good as he remembers his mom's being. It's an easy recipe, but also a good use for leftovers.



Comments

  1. Got a question and it might be the lamest one out there but I gotta ask---Is Corn Flour the same as corn meal?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's cornstarch. In England, cornflour is the name for cornstarch. I didn't even think about it before I copied the recipe. I've changed it so it's correct!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment